It’s So Much More than just Muscle Therapy!!
What is Myotherapy?
It’s a holistic form of physical therapy that considers not only muscle, as the name suggests, but joint, nerve, connective tissue, organs and the body as a whole structure. This comprehensive therapy considers the root cause of pain and dysfunction and treats on an individual basis, rather than focussing solely on the symptomatic area.
Myotherapy uses evidence-based techniques to achieve the best outcomes for each individual. These can include:
- dry needling (with or without electrotherapy)
- joint and spinal mobilisations
- soft tissue (massage) techniques
- stretching techniques
- functional neurological techniques
- vagus nerve stimulation
- movement-based therapy
What conditions can be treated?
There are so many conditions that Myotherapy can help overcome, including:
- Sciatica, Carpel tunnel, pins & needles, and other neurological dysfunctions
- Back & neck pain
- Jaw pain / TMJ syndrome
- Joint pain (eg – shoulder, hip, knee, ankle)
- Tennis elbow
- Sports &/or work-related injuries
- Gut imbalances like IBS, SIBO, and food sensitivities
It sounds very similar to Remedial Massage … How do I decide which Therapy is for me??
Myotherapy is a more advanced qualification than the Remedial Massage Diploma. There is lots of cross-over between Remedial Massage & Myo, especially if you’re seeing a Remedial Massage Therapist with lots of experience. Essentially if you have a complex, chronic condition, or acute pathology, Myotherapy is an ideal choice for you.